View Single Post
Old January 20, 2016   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Did you cross randomly or are you trying to achieve a specific collection of traits?
BVV I just have the general goal of developing some varieties that are well adapted to our growing conditions. Season is short and cool and unpredictable. Little sunshine compared to other places where tomatoes are grown, and since growing under cover is the only sure way to get a crop of tomatoes, there are additional limits on light as well as confined growing space. My interest in semideterminate growth habit and fruit/shoot ratios is because of what happens to the typical tomato deprived of light.... long leggy and many yards of vine per clumps of fruit.

It is not worth the effort to grow anything rated more than 80 DTM or 'midseason' here, and those would be late and possibly too late for us depending on the specific variety and the season. We need tomatoes that will set happily at temperatures between 60 and 70 F. You may have noticed that there are lots of small red varieties for early season... not so many blacks or tangerines or hearts or... although there certainly are some great OP's, I am always looking for the best to try.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote