Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old September 17, 2017   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

My season started very slowly and I didn't think I would have anything to preserve (I use the roast and freeze method.) I did have to go out and buy more ziplock type freezer containers, which I was happy to do. Canning week is usually the first and second week in August but it came early this year. Fruits still coming in slowly but consumed fresh. Many that set after the first heat wave are not ripe yet. With temps going into the 50's at night soon, they'll taste like supermarket fare.

In my climate you have only one chance to get a crop in. If I lived where I had a second season as an insurance policy like you do Worth, I might not have to grow and preserve as much all in the beginning. In a one growing season area having the good fortune to have too much is much better than an empty pantry come winter. Hoarding would be something like 4 years worth (I am not getting near that, am I?)

Tomatoes, 2-3 jars of sauerkraut, 3-4 jars pickled peppers, a few large bags of frozen peppers for chili in winter, maybe 4 jars of pickled cucumbers, and in a good year peaches are all that I preserve. I eat a lot of the other vegetables and fruits as they are harvested and share with the neighbor.

BTW I have two freezers stacked with primarily tomato sauce in ziplock plastic freezer jars, so yeah maybe a little excess but none ever wasted.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote