View Single Post
Old July 23, 2010   #5
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry I'm just getting back to this thread, most of my postings about it are on the main forum on the thread called "Goliath Tomato" at
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15242

Probably all fresh picked tomatoes start out like this from the field. The tomatoes themselves are as clean as anything you'd pick from the garden -- basically because these "are" fresh picked from the garden. He just happens to have quite a big garden! All my "pickin' buckets" look about the same when I've been to the field. His farm is just up the road from mine and the growing conditions and methods are fine. He is as meticulous as we are here at T'ville on growing his tomatoes, and does soil prep in the fall and again in late winter, getting everything just right for his tomato patch. I tell more about this in the "Goliath" thread, plus pictures, scale weights, etc.

I mentioned there that he's picked around 3,000 or more pounds so far from 120 plants and figures to get about 1,000 more pounds. The variety is Original Goliath Hybrid from Totally Tomatoes. I've eaten them and the taste is excellent. Definitely not bland or tasteless! I gave a lot away to friends around Nashville and they loved em and are waiting for more. I bought a bucket-full to take and had no idea they would like them so much. If I take another 30 pounds the next time they won't last long.

Also, remember I'm in a very rural area. These prices aren't uncommon. You could double or triple them in Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, etc. The Amish about 45 miles away grow some of the best seedlings you can imagine and sell them for $20 for a tray of 36. Again, you could double and triple that in the city. Their seedlings are around .50 each and something the same size and quality in Memphis is routinely $2.50 - $3.50 retail. The tomato farmer himself is sorta like the guys you mention Wi-Sunflower -- retired and just does it because he likes to. Several around here do that and it does push the price down.

So...everything's up to par. I listed it as a good example of good deals that can be found in rural markets. And far superior in taste to the fancier boutique tomatoes found in the ritzy markets in our neighboring cities.

Hope you guys are getting better temps and more rain than we are! I have very few blooms now, but did plant some seedlings not long ago and have more to plant if I can get them acclimated to this heat! I can't leave them outside but a few minutes before they start wilting,and then I have to bring them right back inside again. It's sho-nuff hot here.

DS