View Single Post
Old August 7, 2019   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It wasn't me that gave you that tip. I'm not that careful with these so called hard to transplant crops and never seem to have a problem with them. I make sure that they are hardened off well and old enough to have a good root ball that won't fall apart when removing them from the cups. I do try to set them out this time of the year very late in the day so they can have the cool of at least one night to get used to the garden and it is even better to set them out when it is rainy but that isn't very often this time of the year.

I have got some cucumbers growing but they aren't ready to set out and I don't even have a place prepared for them yet. Every year my fall cucumbers have done pretty well but they don't make as nice looking fruit as in the spring. Frequently the long burpless cukes will tend to be shorter and somewhat fatter with tougher skin in the fall at least until it cools down more. I just pulled my spring squash plants on Monday and they were still making but we got a bit tired of them so I won't be setting any more of them out until next year.

Good luck with everything. Sometimes the whiteflies can be a real pain on fall crops so you might want to watch for them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote