View Single Post
Old June 25, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

There are several problems with growing in containers here in the deep south.

Number one is the heat and humidity. Mulch your containers with something like cypress mulch to help keep them a bit cooler and reduce evaporation. Never let them dry completely or all your blooms will fall off.

The second problem I found with container plants was that they needed many more regular feedings than in ground plants to stay healthy and productive. I found that Texas Tomato Food greatly increases the amount of fruit set especially in container plants. You need to feed them with it every week for four or five weeks then flush the container with a good soaking of plain water then resume the feeding schedule of course the heavy rains we have been having will eliminate the need for flushing with plain water at least right now.

The third problem is allowing too much new growth and too many stems on the plant.
You do need to limit the number of growth tips by limiting the number of stems you allow and remove most if not all suckers so the plant can put more of its energy into actually setting fruit instead of just blooms.

Another problem that is a constant down here is the threat from both diseases and pests. Keep the plants sprayed regularly with Daconil and alternate with a copper spray. Keep a sharp eye out for stink bugs, whiteflies, aphids, leaf footed bugs and worst of all spider mites and deal with them quickly before they become a major problem.

I grow tomato plants and produce tomatoes all summer long despite the heat but I grow in raised beds which are easier to keep cool and not as prone to the ups and downs of container growing. I am able to produce tomatoes even in the hottest weather but it isn't easy and it is certainly not as rewarding as growing tomatoes in the early part of the season when they need far less attention and care. I think it would be even more difficult in containers because they would be much harder to keep cooler and evenly moist without a lot of work. Another problem with container plants is if you use a mix that doesn't drain well then the container becomes soggy unhealthy. I found that one out the hard way.

To keep it short mulch the heck out of them, feed them TTF and prune them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote