View Single Post
Old September 11, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It is now clear to me that ISPL is the far better tomato in late summer and for fall production. For some reason the regular IS doesn't do as well in the fall. It doesn't grow as fast nor does it set anywhere near the number of tomatoes that ISPL does. The difference in the number of fruit set on both is noticeable in the spring also but the size of the regular IS fruits is usually a bit larger. I am amazed at the difference in the fall where ISPL outshines every other variety that I have tried that time of the year including its brother IS. I have been growing both variations for quite a few years and in the early part of the season it is not unusual for IS to outproduce ISPL and as I said the fruits are usually larger by a bit but in the fall every year for the past few years ISPL has not only produced more fruit but they are frequently larger.

The only other tomato that has even come close to setting fruit like ISPL in late summer and early fall has been Prudens Purple.

Bill
I believe you Bill,but you are in Alabama and I wonder how that matchup would do elsewhere.

I keep reading how many in the south don't like PL's b/c they are susceptible to bacterial and fungal foliage diseases, but if so,my question is what about the rugose varieties and why wouldn't they be even more susceptible But when talking about the Dwarf Project ones,rugose, I admit I don't read all the threads,but rarely have I seen anyone complain about rugosity and increased fungal diseases.

Carolyn