View Single Post
Old August 12, 2009   #14
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

Default marker testing for Sw-5 and other tomato genes

Tom, thanks for responding to the question posed about the Sw-5 gene in segregating generations. The lab I am familiar with and have used in the past is STA Laboratories. The beauty of the marker assisted breeding is that the test for Sw-5 and most of the other markers are co-dominant markers so the results tell you not only whether the selection is resistant but also whether it is homozygous or heterozygous for the gene. Another nice thing is that the same sample can be tested at the same time for markers for multiple genes. Using the marker assisted selection(MAS), I was able very quickly to combine Sw-5, Mi, and I-3 genes into one useful breeding line (NC 123S). Your material with potential for several combined genes would be ideal for use of MAS. However, to test the number of lines you would need to combine several genes in one line would start to become expensive. Please look at the website for STA Laboratories. It has a lot of good information about their services and contact information for them so you can find out how much they currently charge for testing.
Randy
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote