View Single Post
Old August 7, 2019   #621
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I transplanted two Porter seedlings with two sets of true leaves into 4 inch pots today giving me a total of 4 Porter plant seedlings that some would plant out soon in 100 degree heat? (Probably not huh?) Well, that's actually going to happen later in this hottest month in Texas.

Tomato plants can adapt when started in the right conditions during the hottest part of the year. I have done that in diseased soil directly in the sun. I feel that I have some experience, but won't guarantee it in containers. It's something to see if it's possible. I'm also going to try to grow summer squash in the fall - why not try?

Edit/added

On a side note, here it is August and there are still tomato plants I water daily that were planted in spring. I've changed from the 36-24-36 (Joking) mix to just watering them, and they still look good. At this point, watering them is just to keep them alive. The pepper plants are still flowering and producing.
The plants still have tomatoes on them, and just watering them is keeping them alive. It won't be long before I remove the spring plants though. The 100F / 37 -38C temperatures are here and those plants have done well. They could cosmetically look better if I were healthier, but my neglect isn't affecting them that much. I should have trimmed brown areas more.

The fact is that those plants are tired and the hot humid weather will do that quickly. You can care for your plants too much by overwatering them - which I did at times.

Then there is a surprise with the spring garden tomato plants. There are 4 plants that I removed along the way this spring/summer. We didn't like Rainbow mix and Red Pear. Yellow Pear basically died back when it was raining way too much. The last one removed was Brads' Atomic Grape. That one is odd to figure out because of its wispy foliage, late blooming, and it was when I was overwatering. I removed it for those reasons and to create more airflow. I left a 5 inch stem growing and it has started growing a plant again that looks good. I'm going to let it grow and see what happens.

The fall tomato plants are very close to ready to plant out with exception of the container I restarted in late July. All of them will be fed and watered along the way.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote