View Single Post
Old May 24, 2013   #28
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Here's how I did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Thanks for the info. We do have kennebec at our farm center and yukon gold, so that makes it easy for my first year. How many pounds do I need to plant (how much space) to yield about 120 pounds of potatoes? More is ok, but I am striving to at least make this number. I grow using 4 foot wide rows...most are 32 foot long, but I can rearrange for whatever works best for spuds.

Lindsey
Lindsey, you're on the right course to success. Kennebec and Yukon Gold are good choices, especially for the first adventure. I did some 40 foot rows my first time and we had potatoes for 7 months (even though I did little of anything to maintain them during the growing time). I even harvested early so that we could get lots of smaller potatoes for stews and roasts. The Yukon Gold gave a slightly larger harvest, but we had no complaints.

The main thing is to put something in the ground and learn about that veggie. If you don't get enough yield, plant more next time. Most of us plant more than enough and give some away to those who need it.

Either way, just enjoy the experience. My logic tells me that if potatoes are left in the ground a bit longer, they will probably be a bit larger - all things being even. With my first crop, I didn't so much care that I had larger or smaller spuds, I was just proud that I had grown something new.

Take care and enjoy the process.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote