Thread: Expectations
View Single Post
Old June 24, 2016   #33
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Mat-Su Express

Here are a few pics of our Brandywine X Bloody butcher cross that we named the Mat-Su Express. They are very tasty, and the yield is awesome, they have been well received at the farmers markets too. I planted about 125 plants for my F5 selection from two tagged plants (A) and (B) which were segregated in the F3. Plant B is now called Mat-Su Express Super B, they yield better than most varieties I have grown, they also carry the great taste as plant A's off spring.
My PL Blk Krim X pl Early Girl F2 has proven to be great, of course I got a lot of variation from pink fruit, large red beefsteaks, and cute round tomatoes. The taste is fantastic, I already have f3's going.

I also back crossed BW X BB F2 to a BB X Dester F1, they also yield lots of great tasting fruit.

I also have really enjoyed Green Giant x Juane Flammee, a cross that Sherry AK did for me, she is good at tinkering with tiny flowers.(She does most of the crosses for me) They are basically a bright orange large JF, but maybe even a better taste, segregation will be interesting.

My prize is a tomato I named AK Sunrise and AK Sunset, the first is pink the other red. They are a mystery cross of BW Sudduth's from a few years back. I planted seed from a supposed BWS and sure enough I got a variation of types. I thought the red PL was best and saved seed, then eventually pulled a pink tomato from it and segregated the two tomatoes. Now at F5 they have the same shape, 4-7 OZ and are superior taste-wise, second to none, I have some F6's going now.
I am sending out a bunch of Mat-Su seed this fall as well as my Sunrise and Sunset for others to try.
Anyway here's some pics of Mat-Su, a truss, plants, and picked fruit and also a Sunrise in my hand, and the smooth shaped red Sunset on the truss and in my hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1460.JPG (378.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1434.JPG (367.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1369.JPG (377.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1458.JPG (369.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1462.JPG (372.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1472.JPG (358.3 KB, 200 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote