View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013   #104
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Default A Bud Graft experiment

This is kinda cool.
I did a bud graft (like we do for citrus trees) of an Amish Paste onto a celebrity cutting. I sliced a dormant bud from an Amish Paste (that was too big for regular grafting) and sliced it off the stem with a razor, with the leaf stem used as a handle. So it looked like a little shield. Then I made a corresponding slice on the stem of the rootstock and wrapped a rubberband around it while my daughter placed a drop of superglue on the rubber band to hold it tight. I did this about 7 days ago, and now the bud is starting to grow! I really didnt think it would work, the plant was too big to go in a humidity chamber. I just left it outside in the shade until the day before yesterday.
If this works out I think I could get away with grafting buds on much more mature plants where its not really possible to nurse it along in a protected environment.

The graft above the silicone clip is a brandywine I grafted on about 2 weeks ago. I see one more sucker that could have something grafted to it. Maybe a cherokee purple or an Opalka?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bud_graft1.jpg (263.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bud_graft2.jpg (265.0 KB, 38 views)
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote