View Single Post
Old November 18, 2014   #18
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

I planted the raspberries/blackberries in 4 places around the yard. Based on how my parent’s plants grow I thought they would be easily contained to one spot. However after a year of growth it appears to do that will require some sort of trellis to direct the shoots. That may cause me to move 2 of them, the ones closest to the large gate in my back yard.

Here are the two that could remain in their current location….

And then seen together on either side of an apple tree….

Here’s the one right behind the cold frame, with the 10’ long shoot

You can see where it ended up touching the ground and rooting itself, so now there are two plants that are connected really….

Not sure how to handle it, should I cut it halfway this winter or leave it as is?

This is the final one, it shooted out as well and also grew into the ground at the end of 2 of the shoots….

This final picture is just to give you a sense of what the garden space is like. I was planning on building 6 more raised beds like the ones I built last spring. I was planning on doing two rows of 3 beds each, opposite the location of the current beds next to the fence. That area still gets full sun even with the really tall shrubbery (thorny olive) growing outside of the fence.

It’s a panoramic picture, so the perspective is a bit off…..

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote