View Single Post
Old May 1, 2013   #19
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have had more problems with heat growing brocolli or cauliflower and always do better growing it here for a fall crop.
i really don't have any trouble growing broccoli in the heat of july and august. the trick is watering. i plant out in mid may so by july the plants are large. i mulch the base with shredded leaves and create a well to hold water. when it's consistently in the upper 80's to mid 90's i water the plants every other day maybe every third day at the longest. each plant gets 1 gallon of water. they produce side shoots and grow very large and seem to not be effected by the heat. i've had times where it was in the upper 90's and low 100's and the broccoli still performed fine. i've done this with a few different varieties (green comet, atlantic, de ciccio and my best performing with large side shoots calabrese green sprouting).

if you have just a few plants then this is easy to do. i highly recommend calabrese green sprouting. it's easy to find and op. it is noted for large side shoots often 2" even 3" in diameter.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote