View Single Post
Old May 23, 2019   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, folks. You are kind. The garden keeps this retired soul busy year round. If it's not planting, monitoring, harvesting and putting up, it's planning. You can eat the whole elephant, one bite at a time.

PJ, I use non-pelleted seed. Pre-plant, it's usually soaked overnight in a shot glass. Then I dump it in a little fine mesh strainer, then onto a paper towel and carry it to the garden that way. The soaking makes the seeds swell enough that they are a lot easier to handle. And being slightly damp, they don't slip through the fingertips in globs, thus making spacing (and later, thinning) a whole lot easier.

This is the left side of the garden above the corn and potatoes.

Beds from the bottom: scallions on edges with Japanese Hulless popcorn just coming up (one of this year's toys), onions/kale, experimental squash/collards, empty bed (just removed peas), tomatoes/tomatillos in buckets (what wouldn't fit in the area up at the house). Above the tomatoes and too hard to see are beds with cabbage, earlier corn, broccoli (garlic along the edges already pulled), and another empty former pea bed.

It keeps me out of trouble.

Last edited by GoDawgs; May 23, 2019 at 09:38 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote