View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012   #32
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I haven't (ever) canned any beans.
I like canned beans. Hotwater Bath Canning is fine for acidic food such as tomatoes, pickles, and fruit, but if you can non acidic foods such as green beans, then you definitely need to pressure can. Low-acidic foods contain Clostridium botulinum, which produces a spore that makes a poisonous toxin which causes botulism. This spore is not destroyed at 212° F. In addition, bacteria thrive on low acids in the absence of air. The pressure canner at 12psi raises the boiling point to 240° F, a temperature that kills the botulism producing bacteria and spores. Once you have a pressure canner, then it's pretty simple. http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/C...or_Dummies.pdf

I love my pressure canner, it doubles as a hot water bath canner, and it makes a great pressure cooker too. When you can buy a Fryer for $3 and pressure can 4 quarts of stock ($12 value), then also make chicken salad, you appreciate having one even more. I use my 23-qt pressure canner pot for making 5 gallon batches of tomato sauce. If you have a pressure canner and a vacuum sealer, you can feed the family all winter.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote