View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I still believe the Russian variety should go under its original name, Amurskiy Tigr.
Having a translation is great, but it should not become a 'new' name for a tomato that originated in another country.

I know Russian language is probably too intimidating, this is why many folks are trying so hard to get the names translated... I see much less of translations of French, Italian, or Chinese names. Why Russian are 'singled out'? LOL

But I believe that honoring the original names is the right thing to do, regardless of the country of origin.

The original names are part of tomato variety heritage, and they need to be preserved, along with their histories.

I am guessing once Mark's Siberian Tiger is stabilized, it will likely get a different name, but this is up to Mark to decide, as this is his 'baby' . This is a gorgeous tomato, and I hope it'll get stable sometime in the future!

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at various Russian seed catalogs, I was so frustrated to see so many different translations of many NA tomato varieties. Some of these I could not even recognize any more! Translated variety names are becoming a big problem in Russia - and there are many folks there who also think that if they received a variety from a trader in Sweden, it means that it is 'Swedish'. I saw my share of 'Swedish' Banana Legs and such. Very confusing for folks who are new to the tomato world!

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; February 2, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote