View Single Post
Old June 26, 2017   #13
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

I only have two EarthTainers. The peppers in one had a few flying bugs but no foliage issues. I look at my tomatoes every day so not many leaves affected yet. I picked off affected leaves so not many left that aren't healthy. The leaves affected were on lower part and outside cage. I put pine straw mulch only on tomatoes, not peppers, a week ago.

We had 10 days of torrential rain from Tropical Storm Cindy. My poor rose bush leaves never got dry between downpours and had serious black spot even on stems, but that is rose bush vulnerabilities. It is 50 yards away from the two EarthTainers. Humidity 70% the last couple of days. We have had mild June as far as humidity until last week. No heat wave yet with just two days above 90. Even a few nights where temp was down to 50.

This hybrid is both heat and humidity tolerant so shouldn't have problems with minor humidity and heat we've had so far.

I have kept my tomatoes pruned with fewer leaves/nonbearing branches for good air flow. In fact, may appear to some to look sparse to some but doing best to prevent fungus. Plant and leaves appear healthy except for the few affected leaves which I removed immediately. The fruit is prolific and are unaffected at this point. I have a mockingbird that pecks about 1 or 2 tomatoes a day leaving holes about 1/4" round and to center. No tomatoes with more than one bite. I always remove those as I find them. No signs of caterpillar infestation (holes in leaves). Just pinprick holes from insects I spotted yesterday. Only one leaf had the brown top curl.

I applied insecticidal spray close to dusk last evening and followed with copper but no copper spraying before yesterday. Had thrips about month ago and insecticidal soap eradicated that in a day or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatobush600x600.jpg (224.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by NewbieGrower; June 26, 2017 at 02:38 PM.
NewbieGrower is offline   Reply With Quote