View Single Post
Old February 13, 2017   #455
shule1

Pepper Joe's is fairly well-known among pepper aficionados, but at the same time it's kind of infamous.

Pros: You get lots of free seeds, and the vendor will more than likely replace any crossed or mixed up seeds. They have some cool varieties, I think.

Cons: Many have complained about crossed and/or mxed up seeds. Prices are kind of expensive if you don't factor in the free seeds. So, if you're looking for something specific and only that, it's expensive.

My experience: I ordered from them once (14 July 2015). The Black Jalapenos were black (i.e. probably super dark purple) and looked like jalapenos (when fully ripe they were a dark red); they were productive and pretty awesome-looking; the leaves sometimes had some anthocyanin on them, too; they were thick-walled and though they didn't taste bad, they didn't have the characteristic jalapeno flavor for me; the fully ripe peppers likely had average jalapeno heat, and were a bit on the sweet side for a pepper, flavor-wise. I didn't try the non-fully-ripe peppers, since I wanted to save a very large amount of seeds, or something. I also tried their Yatzy pepper, which was decently productive, but the peppers were quite small (I didn't get that impression from the picture), granted, I had them in a 5-gallon bucket. The Carolina Reaper seed I grew set a few tiny seedless fruits indoors, which didn't look like Carolina Reapers (but like little ribbed pouches), and it grew into a very large plant outdoors, but it didn't get any fruit to prove whether it was true to type or not. The tiny indoor peppers were very hot, especially considering their size. I got some dried Carolina Reapers with my order. Those were pretty fun to have around. They gave me lots of free seed packets. I haven't tried them. I also ordered their Giant Syrian tomato, and though I got a plant, I didn't manage to get any fruit from it as far as I found (perhaps it was too crowded). I grew the plants I mentioned in 2016, although I started the Carolina Reaper in 2015.

Last edited by shule1; February 13, 2017 at 08:30 PM.