View Single Post
Old October 6, 2013   #15
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
You can mix about 80% sphagnum peat with any potting mix. Sometimes I make my own mix, 70 sphagnum peat, 20 perlite 10 vermiculite is fairly typical but not cast in stone. As long as you don't add sand, manure, and/or compost as they will all impede wicking. Before I knew there were "recipes" I grew my tomatoes in straight sphagnum peat and they did fine.
Thanks for the input, Linda. Simple is something I can understand.

Another question regarding soil amendments.

I bought some Great White mycorrhizae: beneficial bacteria and trichoderma for use in the self watering buckets for tomatoes.

I read that it is best to dechlorinate the water before using because it could harm the bacteria. How crucial is this? It wouldn't be difficult to let containers of water sit for 24 hrs to dissipate chlorination, but might be a pain if I forgot to do that. The dilution rate is 1 tsp. per 2 gallons of water every 2-3 weeks. It mentions nothing about chlorine. But for watering in between, should i dissipate the chlorine as to not harm the bacteria?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

P.S. I've been out of the loop due to a stray dog I adopted with medical issues. We've found a happy medium now.

One last note. These mystery peppers did NOTHING all summer long, and suddenly fruited. I can't resist showing a picture to see if anybody knows what this is. Stepson said the label called them "Spicy Bells". They look like habanero to me. I'm scared to taste them, lol.