View Single Post
Old August 13, 2017   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am right now in the process of shopping for a few more varieties of bell peppers after last year where TSWV got nearly all of them before the end of July. Usually the best pepper come for me from September through early December but when you lose them all by mid summer you miss such a great pepper growing time of the year down here. I have already planted a couple of new ones Carolina Wonder and Charleston Belle that I found that are resistant to fusarium wilt and they are doing fine with little or no signs of it affecting them. The trouble with them is they produce smaller bells than I prefer and they are having some foliage disease issues. It hasn't gotten bad enough to hinder production much but I would like to find a few varieties with more tolerance to the bacterial and virus foliage diseases that hit peppers frequently. Socrates seems to always produce better and larger peppers but they do suffer some of those diseases and some years pretty badly. I am trying a couple of newer ones called Couger, Touchdown, and Red Bull but so far this year none of them seem as productive as Socrates. Another problem is I can't find Socrates seed anymore and Red Knight and King Arthur which are similar never produced nearly as well for me. If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I would also like to find a large very productive Jalapeno.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote