View Single Post
Old June 13, 2011   #12
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
Ray,

Most cucumbers are Monoecious, They have male and female flowers, then there are parthenocarpic cucumber varieties that do not need fertilization to produce fruit but there is also hybrids that are gynoecious varieties that are breed to be mostly female flowers with very few male flowers. These later ones are the most productive but need a monoecious variety near by to insure pollination. I currently have that issue with burpless bush hybrid as mine have all females and no male flowers. I also have no other cucumbers in flower to get pollen from due to the hail storm. Its loaded with at least 20 female flowers.

Diva and Sweet Success are parthenocarpic so no need to worry about hand pollination, all that will do is create seeds in a seedless fruit.

Anyways as for the original post about all male flowers this is normal, usually male flowers will be the first to form and bloom, this last about 1-2 weeks and then you should start seeing both on your plants.
Okay here's a stupid question: What does "burpless" mean? I couldn't help but wonder that when I belched up that cucumber taste in my mouth yesterday.

Last edited by organichris; June 13, 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote