View Single Post
Old April 17, 2018   #32
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Just posted an update over on OpenAg. So i'll copy my update here too. For those of you like me who may find themselves stuck in an apartment or want to breed tomatoes or something together during the winter you may be interested in this project. Currently it's all hydroponic, which i don't know if i like hydroponics for long term growing, but the basic idea is what is cool. https://forum.openag.media.mit.edu/t/300-food-computer

okay! Here is how my Aero/Hydro (i dont like the term fogponics so i don’t use it) seed germination system has progressed. It actually works quite well. The two pepper plants got huge rather quickly and I’ve already had to move them to a larger Deep Water Culture (if i get the terminology right). I’ve eaten peppers off of one already! The other is growing bell peppers now in the windowsill. Several of the indeterminate tomatoes had to be moved out as well. And eventually even the determinate tomato (LA1996) as my shelf was just a little too short for it too (not by much). I potted that one up.

Despite this working well as a germination tray i don’t really think i really like hydroponics for long term growing. I think Soil is the better way to go for me long term maybe. But i think i will keep this system for germinating tomato seedlings and such. I did eventually have terrible algae problems so i cleaned it out and covered it with reflective tape and that has fixed it. Left some small openings for water level diagnostics. Never had to add that internal fan as i just removed one of the two piezo ultrasonic misters and that reduced the heat enough to acceptable levels. The light, the airstone, and the mister all are still on an arduino timer that turns off at night. Sometimes i put a small battery powered fan on top to stiffen the stems of the seedlings to harden them off before planting. Don’t want them weak.

I currently have Solanum galapagense, Solanum cheesmaniae, S. lycopersicoides, S. sitiens, Domestic tomato ‘Anasazi’ (one of the ones that tastes good and does well in my climate), etc. seedlings currently growing and sprouting for the upcoming summer. I have more i will want/need to germinate.

Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote