View Single Post
Old March 7, 2012   #19
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, James! Glad to hear that it worked for you. It seems that the float it shouldn't interfere with the bench support... according to the product label in the picture in the EarthTainer guide, the tote is about 33" the long way, and about 16.5" the short way. Since the bench support is just that 16.5" (plus maybe 1" overlap), there should be about 15" left over around it... or about 7.5" on each side of the bench support. The float looks like it doesn't take up more than 1-2" left-to-right.

The bigger issue will be when I try to mount the floats on my 5-gallon bucket SWCs. I can't think of how I could mount the valve on rounded surface. My current thinking is to mount the valve vertically, so that it "hangs" from the underside of the inner bucket (the equivalent of the aeration bench) with a hose running through the soil to a hole drilled through the side of both buckets (or just the inner bucket if I run the hose high enough vertically to where they don't overlap).

My goal is to have all the parts in about two weeks, and then test the watering system and ensure I understand how everything works together. Aiming to build everything the weekend of Mar. 31... just in case this warm weather persists and I can get a head start on planting outdoors!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote