View Single Post
Old July 11, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
Worth,
Thanks for answering the question about being cousins to the lemon cucumber. As far as the taste of the golden egg squash, they remind me of delicata, sort of. The only way we've eaten them so far is on the grill or sautéed with butter. They are nice and creamy with a sweet nutty flavor. This week sometime we're going to bake a couple in the oven and try them that way.

Wi-sunflower,
I've only found a couple of sites that actually sell the seeds but they are only an outlet for Burpee. This is the first year for these seeds to be on the market for Burpee. As you know, the seed companies control how they distribute new products and control the market with patents. I was just at their site and now they're limiting one packet of seeds per customer. It wasn't like that earlier this spring. I probably should have gotten more seeds. Buying seeds in bulk is not an option that they are doing at this point in time. What few seeds I have, I'm germinating now to plant in a couple of weeks. I do my own little CSA for about 10 families plus co-workers of my wife. They all want the little round yellow squash now that a couple people have tried them. I only have eight plants in ground and not enough to go around. They are supposed to have an eight week harvest period. My second planting should be producing about the time these getting pulled. Hopefully. If I find an outlet for more of these seeds I'll surely let you know. Figures, when you find something that you want to try, they have restrictions on them. Kind of stinks.
DP
Sorry, why does it stink? The only reason these exist at all is the research and time that Burpee put into developing them. That is why you are enjoying them.

Why shouldn't they make a return on the investment? Sounds like wholesome capitalism to me that benefits everyone.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote