View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Just wanted to say I got the neem oil (the Garden Safe brand) this weekend, and finally had time to get it mixed up with the bit of dish soap (I use Seventh Generation) and water in my spray bottle. I sprayed it at lunchtime today. I think none too soon, as I noticed one of the zucchini leaves was partially munched. I also saw a couple of ants walking inside the cucumber flower. Trellised it up, too, that should help.
That's great Ann. I have been spraying neem mix with a little soap and alot of water every 4 to 5 days, and it is a very good prevention.I mix the neem with the soap first to emulsify it, then add the water, and this way it stays mixed in.

Please be careful about spraying at noon, especially if it is a sunny day, because neem, like all oils, will burn the leaves in the heat of the day. Only spray early morning or later afternoon to avoid frying your leaves. Been there and done that!
Oh, and neem only works on soft bodied insects such as moths, caterpillars, whiteflies aphids, but ants have a hard chitin exoskeleton and wont be affected by neem.
Just thought you should know.... trying to be helpful.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote