View Single Post
Old June 9, 2020   #7
TechGuy
Tomatovillian™

I have been working with my local ag extension agent who came out yesterday (Monday). She could not see them with her 40x loupe but took them back to the office and put under a microscope and confirmed a heavy infestation.

She recommended the powdered wettable sulfur be sprayed on. I did that last night. I used 4 Tablespoons/ gallon and drenched them. I covered my melons with row covers. I had done a test spray of a few plants a few days earlier of 3T per gallon and the plants seemed to handle it okay.

On Friday, I had done another heavy pruning removing almost all visible signs of damage. By Monday it was pronounced and widespread and required another heave prune to remove before spraying had to be done. Its bad enough that I have a couple of leaders that have no leaves now.

At this point the fruit quality is not up to standard. With heavy pruning and such stress I have mealy, tart flavor, with sun scald from lack of branches above fruit. I have grafted plants so I am in plant saving mode for future harvest at this point.

She recommended in future using predatory mites at first sign in high tunnel but I would have to close it which I don't think is practical due to heat and humidity issues. I do have exhaust fans that I could run but it would still be a lot in hot weather

Here is image she sent me
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QxT1tSqhpVasuegd9
TechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote