View Single Post
Old October 24, 2017   #53
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi kevrow,,,,I am just watching the earthtainer videos on Youtube...and yet to see the finished product...At this stage I am struggling to get my head around how it works ....I am glad you see the advantages that I see in germinating on paper ....
Although my seeds have germinated when I lie them in my moss mix I am sure there are failures (ie there is no growth showing ) but it could still be early days..I presume some seeds are a lot slower than others so I have not given up on any of them...either germinating or propagating....but it is near the time to do do a back up ...I can give any surplus away....
Now this is my first experience of using Peat Pots and as I now realise they do draw a lot of water and I have of course put them in foam cups that has the bottom cut out so as they sit and draw water from the capillary ...also I can mark on the foam cup what variety each is.......I could try a 12mm hole in the foam cup ..put a small amount of mix in the hole and then put the peat pot into the foam cup.. it might restrict the amount of water transfer from the capillary ....In saying this I am having a fair amount of success and cannot work out why some are just failing ...I can only think its got to be the water??
It could also be worth trying with no capillary cloth and simply mist spray them through this period of their lives ...Using a moss mix in a jiffy cup I would think that the seeds would get enough water using a mist spray...

I am really interested on how the next stage goes IE applying a hardening off procedure to the seedlings ... BTW hows that Rugby team of yours going.....??? My provincial team has not won a game ...I told a coach many years ago to play in slippers ...he thought I was mad ...The secret in Rugby IMO is too retain possession and recycle the ball ..not too KICK it away and give it to the other team ...and thats what we are doing in Southland...
Cheers Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote