View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013   #35
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

If you have scions that would otherwise be tossed due to lack of a compatable rootstock, why don't you use them for grafting practice - esp. considering your success rate I went through ALOT of seedlings in my first 4 fruitless attempts at grafting. I've been tweeking things along the way and on my current 5th try I've having a bit of success, finally, but not out of the woods yet. I've been starting more seeds along the way and am on my second order of rootstock!! I've been using Katana, Grandeur, and Momotaro - all from Kitazawa. I've also started some Ping-Tung Eggplant that are growing pretty fast and if I can slow down the growth of my scions some might be compatable with the eggplant in a week or so.

Right now I've got 6 out of 9 grafts transfered to the second healing chamber under a fluorescent light with old tubes that aren't particularly bright and have had the humidity dome vents open for several hours. So far, everything's looking pretty good. The remaining 3 (not looking so hot but not dead - yet) are still in the first chamber along with 6 brand new grafts I just completed.

FWIW, here are a few of the things I've done differently since my first failed attempts (modifying things a bit at each stage).

Purchased a couple of humidity domes from Rogue Hydroponics so I was "on the same page" as the guy in the Johnny's video and other videos - one less varient to things.

I put together a grafting set-up using the follow items I had around the house and garage:

humidity meter
Ranco Electronic Temperature Control (ETC-11100) with probe
1 solid rubber lab stopper
1 rubber lab stopper with a hole
moist/dry heating pad
rubberized mesh shelf liner
pieces of cardboard
thin metal wire

I removed one of the vent covers from the dome - exposing 2 holes.

I threaded the thin wire through the edge holes on the humidity gauge and ran the wire through one of the holes in the dome and secured it it place with a solid stopper so that it was suspended in the dome where I could read it.

Using an x-acto knife I cut a slit in the side of the holed stopper and inserted the temperature control probe through the hole in the stopper. (The head of the probe is wider than the hole, but the lead wire fits perfectly in the hole - the slit was so I could get the head of the probe through the stopper) I then dropped the probe assembly into the other hole in the dome and secured the stopper in place with the temperature sensor part of the probe suspended a couple of inches off the bottom tray.

The humidity dome set-up was placed on the heating pad and the heating pad plugged into the controller with the temperture set to 83 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees.

Before grafting, I sprayed the inside of the dome and brought things up to temp. My humidity guage never went over 80 but after concluding that I over humidified my prior attempts trying to get a higher reading, I finally figured that anywhere between 70 and 80 percent is fine - using that meter.

In my early attemps, I had heavily watered the rootstock. This time I only watered moderately the night before, just so they weren't noticebly dry.

For the actual grafting, I was able to match up the sizes of the rootstock and scion pretty well, and did a standard tube graft. Then I sort of propped up the graft at the clip with a toothpick to take a little stress of the plant in case it wanted to start leaning. I also trimmed the scion leaves somewhat before grafting (which I hadn't done in other attempts).

After grafting I did a really quick fine spritz on the leaves a put them in the chamber.

I covered the chamber with the rubberized mesh shelf liner, propped up a couple of pieces of cardboard next to the two sides facing the room windows, and "walked away." I tried not to open the cover during the 4+ days the grafts were in the chamber, but I did peek in once or twice to give the sides of the dome a quick spray if the condensation on the inside of the dome was drying up. (In my early attempts, I'd been fussing with things too much, opening things up to try and prop up wilted plants, spraying twice a day, etc.)

Today, the 5th day, 6 of the plants looked pretty good so I transfered them into the second chamber. So far, so good.

Sorry to get so off topic (got carried away <g>), but wanted to give you some encouragement, that there is at least some hope for success if you keep at it - so, as I said, I'd go ahead and practice grafting on your extra scions!

BTW, there's a very encouraging video on You Tube. Don't have the link off hand but look up time lapse grafted tomato.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote