View Single Post
Old May 5, 2018   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That is a really good page Zipcode posted. I've never seen it but it looks like the effects of cold temperatures. 10 F is mentioned.
We did have a cold snap in early March where morning temps got down to 27. They are mulched with leaves but not a real thick layer. So I'm wondering if that cold spell triggered the extra leaves.

Quote:
OTOH I'm amazed you have separated cloves so early in the season. Could it be that the variety you planted is a Turban? They don't always produce scapes but when they do they are hardnecks. And have a look at the recent thread by GoDawgs, the necks are huge and the foliage like nothing I've ever seen on our northern hardnecks. And they are apparently close to harvest time already.. it's amazing.
Mine are Turbans. I've never seen a scape on them but this is only my second year growing garlic.

Quote:
If they are turbans, the experts advise to keep checking bulb size and harvest them before they flop over as onions do. By the time they flop over, the cloves are quickly losing their last wrappers so your chances of storage are over.
I just checked yesterday after seeing two plants leaning way over. At first I thought they were dry as I've been withholding water prior to harvest. Those two were dug and they're ready. They were planted Sep 14.

Thanks so much for this info!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote