Thread: 2012 Maters
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012   #177
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
This is a regrow from last year but seems to have produced fruits with a more pointed shape than last year. Last year's fruits were more beefsteaky, ruffled and really shiny and beautiful. These fruits were larger (from 14-30 oz.) and more consistent in size. I still liked the taste a lot but some had a bit of puffiness and empty locule thing happening. There was a thread earlier this season that was discussing the possibility that non-heart types were showing heart shapes due to weather and I almost posted about this one. I'd really like to know what this one really should look like- there was only one photo at Tatiana's Tomatobase.
Kath, that variety originated with Patty B in Ohio who posts here. Quite a few years ago she sent me seeds for it and I put out a couple of plants here at home and farmed out several others to the local folks I was giving plants to at the time and checked all of them to see what I got. I got some large pinks, some gold/red bicolors and I can't remember what else.

I told Patty and she said she would try to clean it up, and that's the last I knew. So I don't know if there is one stable variety that represents what you have as West Virginia Sweet Meat..

What was your seed source?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...nia_Sweet_Meat

When looking at Tania's page I see that almost everyone got their seeds in 2007 and I know I was sent the seeds and grew it out before Dec of 2004 b'c that's when I fell and started having to use a walker. My point being I was not using a walker when I grew out this variety and was able to check plants up close and bring home fruits from my vet's place from her friend Dody's place and from the home of my local MD.

Problem was, in general, that as long as I was supplying plants of many different varieties it was a go situation but no one wanted to save seeds and so that was that as far as I was concerned.

Right now I'm living my tomato life vicariously through the efforts of a young local fellow who is really into it and who I supplied seeds for maybe about 40 varieties last Spring. He's currently selling at Farmer's Markets and is expanding his efforts greatly since he does a good business with mixed greens, eggplants, peppers, carrots and lots more and has a large hoop house so gets crops before others do.

But what also endears me to Rob and that when he's at a Chinese place he'll call me and ask if I want anything and also hauls into my home those sleeves of Diet Pepsi that I'm somewhat addicted to, I mean the cans with liquid in them, not the sleeves.

And yes he's registered here but is so busy he has little time to read/post here.