View Single Post
Old November 5, 2018   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Tomato seeds and fast moving stainless steel are totally 100% incompatible. My most adamant recommendation is to not use any kind of blender or other whirling blade to try and save seeds. You wrote about soft tomatoes that were hard to remove the seeds. I do it all the time because those seeds are the most mature and have fantastic germination numbers. If the messiness or the odor is freaking you out, then put the whole tomato into a jar or other container and ferment the whole thing. I squeeze them into a strainer and pick out some of the debris before jarring them up. I also cut up the ones that have "overly ripe" areas. The good parts are used to collect seeds and the rotting bad parts are discarded.

There are no shortcuts on saving undamaged seeds that involve blenders. I save more than 50,000 tomato seeds each year and I will never even consider using anything but hand collection and fermentation to save seeds. The way I see it is that by using the blender, you may get lucky and only damage (and subsequently destroy the viability) on 40% of the seeds. Which 40% are bad and which are not so bad? Is the distribution of bad seeds even thru out the mix? Or are there clumps of 90% bad over here and 55% good over there?

You can surely make your own decisions on this subject, but my opinion is that it would be a huge waste of time that would leave you unsure and wondering about the quality of your collection of varieties. If you trade seeds, how can you feel good about the quality of what you are sending out? I hope you experiment and report to the community what results you get. Good luck on this endeavor.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; November 5, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote