View Single Post
Old November 5, 2018   #10
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Why?
Seeds are alive and easily damaged, especially fresh seeds with a soft seed coat as in the case of fresh wet tomato seeds.
It would not save any time or effort particularly especially if you consider the time to get it out, use it, clean it and put it away.
KarenO
Two uses. First, I have lots of tomatoes that are cracked & rotting that are hard to handle, I can't cut them because many are literally falling apart. I put these in a quart container and have at it with a knife trying to break them up to get to the seeds. I sometimes use a potato masher.

Second, I have a dozen or more cherry or currant-sized varieties. Some of these are smaller than the currant variety Spoon, and one actually IS the variety Spoon, and even using a potato masher some get thru the openings in the masher.

I am starting to believe that the seed gel protects the seeds. Think about it for a minute---when you slice a tomato in half to squeeze the seeds out for fermenting, have you ever seen even ONE seed that was sliced in half? I haven't. And blending tomatillo seeds in a blender, I have not seen any damaged seeds, have any of you?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote