Thread: Juanne Flammee
View Single Post
Old July 24, 2006   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Yes, I said over at GW that I really didn't like them all that much especially when they're ripe because they get too mushy for my preference.

The flavor is interesting and I kinda like them a little underripe. But when they get that beautiful golden color with the red center ... well, they're just too soft for me. And the skins are a little too tough for such a soft flesh ... really nit pickin' here, but that juxtaposition of mushy flesh and chewy skin just ain't a palate pleaser to me.

But look at those things ... how can you dis something that beautiful? The skins are smooth, crackless and blemish free. There's no blossom scar. And the color is truly beautiful ... glowing.

I think they have some promise as breeding material with something that'll capture the color and give'm some more eatability. I think I've got one crossed with Sungold ... at least I did everything right and the ovule set and is grown up now waitin' to turn color.

The plant here at home has that multifloral cluster with about 16 tomatoes in it. I really think Juanne Flammee could be put to good use makin' some hybrids or grow-outs. Like maybe with Cherokee Green or Lime Green Salad. Or I wonder if you could make another Sungella type thing out of it? What's Sungella like anyway?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote