View Single Post
Old February 13, 2017   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I have grown from seed. I just took a berry and dried the seed and planted it in a cup. Many germinated. I matured two plants. This was about ten years ago as an experiment. I don't grow them any more. Not worth the effort since many are grown commercially in my area and I only need about 30 pounds which I make into juice.

http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/2...%20Juice/HTML/ 23 June 2016 Strawberry Juice
Twenty four quarts\pounds of strawberries were picked at a cost of $2.00 per quart and made into 19 liters of Pressure canned juice. Process was to remove ends, place in cooking pot, cover with water about seven liters, bring to a boil and blend into a slurry. Put through food mill screen 2 mm mesh. There was little residue and this step could be eliminated. The juice was placed in liter jars (19) and pressure canned in batches of seven. The pressure canning was 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. A quart or liter of berries weight about one pound. Each liter of juice contains about 1.2 pounds or a quart/liter of berries. The juice has a slight tart taste, since strawberries are not very sweet.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote