View Single Post
Old February 13, 2017   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, yes, that's the best way
We are all strong pioneering gardeners and grow all our stuff from seeds.. no need for plants and seedlings! Those are for lazy sissies, lol.

In all seriousness: I believe the process of growing your own strawberry plants in your own conditions makes them stronger from the start, better acclimatized for their intended location.
During the last three years, I have grown Yellow wonder (Alpine variety), they grew and bloomed well, from a slow and tiny start became large lush bushes.
They died after two years (thanks to a harsh winter 2015-2016), but that's actually their normal cycle.
Last year, I sowed another alpine variety Rügers, and also a garden variety Temptation. Those seedlings are now planted in the ground, we'll see in the spring how many survived under the snow.
There are also some natural alpine strawberries growing in the same location (it's so common it's like a weed in our country...), will be interesting to see how they'll interact and possibly cross pollinate.

I might sow some more seeds in April and grow those seedlings in pots just for the fun of it..

Tristan, the lovely pink-flowered beauty: Had one in a pot last summer, was pretty, and plenty of flowers. The taste of the berries, however, was not something spectacular. If you want it for decorational purposes, it's very lovely.. for taste, I'd recommend something else.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; February 13, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote