View Single Post
Old May 19, 2007   #17
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrina_Pepperina View Post
You are ALL killing me!!!!! *groan* I would consider giving up my entire family to live somewhere with an heirloom apple orchard, and land for tomatoes, chillies, citrus, avocados, pumpkins, potatoes, corn, melons, grapes, pomegranates, and a few other things of course

Meanwhile, this is the best I can do. It's an Azerbaijani pomegranate bush.

PP
Patrina, as much as my mouth waters at the mention of heirloom apples, your pic of the Azerbaijani pomegranate bush has got the Armenian in me drooling like a fool. Sighhhhhhhh....

I'm also in Amish country here in Southern Ontario. And they're famous for their heirloom fruits - not just apples. I'm off to a plant sale later this morning at the Doon Heritage Crossroads museum. I'll try to find out which varieties they have. They've got an 1830's-1850's Amish farmhouse, complete with Grosdaddy and kitchen garden. Last time I looked they had at least 15 different fruit trees along side the Amish kitchen garden at DHC. The local farmer's market in St. Jacobs usually has a few Amish/Old Order Mennonites in the fall with various heirloom apples

Its from that Amish kitchen garden (at DHC) that I sourced the "Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans" (I've still to get the official name from the plant curator at DHC, so in the meantime that's the name I'm using for them.). All the plants - flowers, veggies and trees growing in the Amish kitchen garden are from saved seeds from the local Amish community. Many are ones that families have been growing/saving since they arrived in Waterloo Region(formerly known as Waterloo County) from Schweiz(Switzerland) and Russia, sometimes via Lancaster, Pennsylvania, back in the early 1800's.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote