View Single Post
Old July 12, 2014   #25
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

It was a joke... But I wish I could! Dang Tomatillos are the Ninjas of the vegetable world.

I personally don't think sauce should be sweet but a lot of people do. Sauce in Italy is very piquant and never sweet. I would be happiest with ultra dry, few seeds, big (above 1 lb) with taste improvement after cooking and texture, which is something I have not mentioned but great sauce from sauce tomatoes has a specific "pebbly" appearance...never smooth. It always looks a little grainy (hard to describe but about the size of bee bees .) If you compare sauces made from different tomato types, IE: hearts, cherries, slicers, the sauces will each have a distinctly different texture. Some of the texture results from long cooking times and IMO that is the biggest difference in using paste tomatoes over non-paste types for sauce. I have said many times on this forum that Costoluto Genovese comes through the tomato mill looking like finished sauce.

I understand about breeding for specific traits. Cattle and horses pose the same difficulties, mainly because when you breed specifically for one trait, another trait you already have goes to helll...so many genetic variables and in animals specifically, there may be an unexpressed, recessive gene ( trait ) that pops up after a gazillion generations...always a crap shoot. It is most obvious in "line breeding". You get the best of the best traits but you also get the worst of the worst traits. So it could run like the wind but all four legs are so crooked it can only walk in a circle...