View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple, Arkansas Traveler and Matt's Wild Cherry, along with Sungold. Also, Marglobe and Aussie are big producers for me. Marglobe is an early determinate, not the best taste but good enough for a ton of salsa, fresh tomato sauce and soup when nothing else is really doing anything or you don't have enough of any other tomatoes to make anything yet.
Getting the plants in the ground early enough without losing them to a late freeze might be a challenge, it is for me here in the Phoenix area. We always seem to have just a few more freezes into April, even though I really should get my plants in around Feb 1. Protection is a neccessary, and some backup plants.
For me, it's a balance of plants that produce early and can also set in a bit of heat because sometimes our summers hit in the middle of April with no real spring. Our tomato season can be very short so really long season varieties don't do the best for me. I can't take full advantage of long season indeterminates. I usually only get two tiers before heat takes them out.
I'm moving more towards shorter season indeterminates and determinates for this reason, especially because the bulk of our tomatoes go for sauce and salsa anyway. It's really better for them to come in a big flush or two, otherwise I end up having to put a bunch of bags in the freezer until I have enough to deal with. I prefer fresh tomatoes for the type of salsa that we make.
Good luck this year! Your climate can be very rewarding. Be sure to try cowpeas, okra, yardlong beans for those hot summer days and lots of greens/salad stuff for the winter. Chard, collards and kale will become almost four season greens if you like them! They are here so I'm sure they will there where the heat isn't quite as bad.

Last edited by Tracydr; December 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote