View Single Post
Old August 3, 2019   #13
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

I have eaten three of mine so far. I am very impressed. They are a very tasty and a very lovely tomato. Maturity for me is about the same as Big Beef.

Did I mention they are very tasty? They have a classic dark tomato taste, mild and sweet. And, (unlike some darks) they have character. They are NOT insipid, flat, and dull. And they have a great finish that leaves you waiting for the next bite (no odd bitterness or "off-ness").

And did I mention they are lovely? They are nicely shaped with no cracks, lumps, warts, splits, or odd protrusions. Perfect slicers with good size.

I will let the season finish. I have only eaten three. But the plant is healthy and loaded with fruit, so I will be eating more shortly. But so far, very promising.

(I grew Johnny's "Marnero" for two years. Chef's Choice has more fruit and is much better tasting. For me, "Marnaro" was a very good looking tomato, but its taste was definitely on the bland and insipid side of the fence. I got nice production early with a pronounced drop off.

I've given up on Cherokee Purple and Paul Robeson. Haven't tried Carbon.)
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote