View Single Post
Old December 22, 2009   #27
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
...The variety was introduced by Andrey as M's hat and you and some others said, I think, it should be M's cap.

Maybe others could read the above thread and give an opinion as well.
Carolyn,

I did read the entire thread, and I can see how one may consider translating it as a "Cap", specially due to it's shape. "Шапка Мономаха" is a very unique attire, dome, made with gold, and decorated with precious stones and fur, etc. It is believed to be called that very name for the first time in 1500's. - But, I don't believe that the definition of the word "cap" even existed back in those days.

More so, any attire to be worn on someone's head, that included fur, would automatically be called a "hat". In the simple terms, "Shapka" - is a piece of attire that one would wear on their head, but not a "light" piece and by no means represents any type of straw hat, or anything else of summer resemblance (a different names are used for those). Hat is usually a head attire to keep a person warm.

I did pull up 2 dictionaries (Russian to English), and neither mentions an English word "Cap" under any variations.

So with all do respect, I must agree with Andrey on the translation, "Monomakh's Hat"

Kind regards,
Dima

P.S. Now that I've read about this variety - interest has risen, and looks like I have to get some seeds from Tania

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; December 22, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote