View Single Post
Old January 26, 2021   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Just a heads up that Baker Creek invited Cliven Bundy to speak at their Spring Planting Festival a few years back, and when people understandably got upset, they doubled down, tried to claim they didn't understand that he was problematic, and then canceled his appearance while blaming the people who objected to him for making the atmosphere potentially unsafe.

In case you don't remember, Bundy not only engaged in illegal occupation of government land, but he's on record saying that Black people were better off as slaves and is actively engaged in anti-Indigenous activism in the name of "land rights".

I know everyone is different when it comes to taking politics into account in consumer decisions, but I thought I'd put this out there so you can make your own decision.

Personally, I was already hesitant about Baker Creek because of their insistence on perpetuating certain fake variety information (Carolyn had a lot to say about this when she was with us) although I like the convenience of ordering from their site when it comes to varieties I knew were legit, but the Cliven Bundy incident was the final straw for me. I haven't ordered from them since and have yet to encounter a variety of veg I want to grow that can't be sourced from someone else.

https://www.rootsimple.com/2019/05/b...undy-to-speak/
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote