View Single Post
Old March 18, 2019   #11
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

Jane, I've been thinking along similar lines, except no round trip. Sometime between late April and early May, several varieties can go outside for hardening, without needing to come back, reducing the workload inside. I seem to be developing my strategy as I go, and so I started my tomatoes this past weekend.

Here's what I have so far:

Black Krim,
GGWT,
Brandywine, both Sudduth (pink) and red,
French oxheart (Coeur de boeuf),
SOTW,
Mortgage lifter,
Cherokee purple,
Carbon,
Greek Thessaloniki,
SOO,
PBTD,
trying to get a biggie one with Big Zack,
and for an early one, fourth of July (hybrid).

About 200 seeds total, more than I need but also accounting for less than perfect germination, and gifting. They should have enough time to sprout, and a transplant into 4" pots before I go. I probably would even start another batch before my trip, they'd need more babying before I'm back.

Also started some curly parsley and another batch of Sylvia lettuce. I had a hard time with the first batch, maybe the seeds were old.

Been looking at the SSE catalog, encouraged my wife to pick a few flower packs. So now I am committed to order, and been looking at the following, let me know what you think if you know them:

Gold medal
Hungarian heart
Speckled Roman
Red Zebra
and Rosso Sicilian

I'd like something new and different, that's why the bi-colors interest me. I also would like a good and productive determinate, for the old garden possibly and for sauce. If you have any ideas let me know.

tbc...
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote