View Single Post
Old December 9, 2016   #15
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I think you are right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Agree there's really no way one cat could generate enough urine to cause problems in that much medium, even if he's been peeing in it for a while. Also, there are no pathogens in cat urine that could negatively affect plants like that, so bleach won't do anything.

The latest photos show the kind of damage that can happen when bleach is applied to foliage at too strong a concentration.

Agree that the medium looks very heavy and mucky and moving the plants ASAP is important. What is the granular yellow-green stuff on the surface of some of those pots? I can't get a good enough view at this resolution.
Gorbelly....Interesting message ...So I rule out the cat ...then the next paragraph really strikes home and I will tell you why ...I worked out the bleach concentration quite some time ago and thought I had it right IE about 45ml of 4.9% bleach to a litre of water ....I now believe this could be far too strong based on what I have now read in a recent post ...
My back up plants bought from a garden centre were (on advice) sprayed (because they are the worst for carrying disease so I was told ) and have been killed by the bleach and copper spray I carried out so things have just gone bad to worse...The granular stuff you see is a root additive that I was told to put round the stem of my dieing plants .... Trichoderma Granules name ROOTMATE Bio Fungicide.....as for my soil mix..I believed I was quite safe using commercially available Tomato Mix 2 parts with one part peat moss and one part perlite....

After two relatively good seasons of growing some tomatoes last year was a complete disaster which led me to joining Tomatoville ,,,I do not have anything like the diseases this season ...Maybe I over reacted to advice on my initial situation and made my situation far worse by using an incorrect bleach recipe ...I do not know ....

Maybe what I am doing now was the real answer...cutting leaves off with a pair of scissors as soon as they show the slightest sign of an infection...
Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote