View Single Post
Old October 28, 2016   #27
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I've finally brought the plants inside,since I can really sence that smell of winter in the air,if you know what I mean.

I've grown plenty of plants under artificial lights,in fact 100+ different species.But never tomatoes.They have one main 250w mercury bulb with a color temperature of aprox 4200K,and 4x20w fluorescent bulbs,which have a more cooler color.I don't know if this will be enough,but only time will tell.So far,there seems to be a spike in growth since I brought them in.
The two of S.Neorickii speciments I've managed to grow from seed are doing exelent.The one on the left was grown in worm compost+roughly 20-30% crushed calcium carbonate natural stone(forgot it's name).This is because I know it coms from mountanous regions so I thought it'd enjoy a rocky substrate.However the one on the right grew larger and was in 100% compost,but the smaller one is about to flower,while on the other you can barely see the first buds comming.

I also have a problem.I have managed to regenerate a single plant of S.Cheesmaniae,but it seems to be affected by some disease.I fear it might be the dreaded potato spindle tuber viroid the tgrc had issues with.It started as a few small dot-like growths on the leaves that mostly resemble a scaled-down version of galls that some mites cause on plants.Now some leaves are starting to deform and there is strange moist,powdery growth on some places that is definitely derived from the plant itsef.I can't take a close up right now,but if anyone has a clue on what it migt be please let me know,this speciment is extremely important to me.

StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote