View Single Post
Old August 20, 2017   #42
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Here I am, searching for ways to use/keep excess eggplant and I found this year old thread and had to comment. I just finished cleaning up our victorio and packed it back in the box after another nice batch of sauce. I have a new victorio and have used the old ones as well. IMO the new one is much better simply due to the much better seal and the motor. The old one, though better quality of material, leaks a whole lot more from the crank seal and particularly the screen interface and was honestly a mess to use.

The new one I bought as a package with all the accessories and the motor. The motor is a puny thing but works great for me for raw tomatoes, steamed softened pears, and using the big screen for mashing/ricing cooked potatoes. For tomatoes I prefer feeding them raw. Heated tomatoes broken down to liquid will back fill the feed spout and cause a vacuum. It won't want to feed, then will push liquid through the seal. Raw is easier for me logistically and I run it non-stop for the 20 qts it takes to fill the 3 pots I can use to cook down. I don't clean nor scrape the screen at all in that time. I used to run the mash a second time, but now, after that is done I run the mash through my Champion Juicer once and top the pots off with that. Durgan's praise of his Champion led me to find that gem on CL for $20 just a few miles away.

The clamp on the new victorio fits our table perfectly, so it is nice and solid. When I first got it I did have an incident where it "blew up"! The screen locks on the body with a lot of compression against it from the spring. What happened was it kind of clogged and I took the motor off, put on handle and reversed it, thinking that might help. It did, for a few times, and then at some point it unscrewed itself with the reverse motion and the spring shot it apart!

The next time I reassembled it I marked where set screw location goes when tight, and drilled a recess there so the set screw can actually bite into the body. It hasn't "blown up" since!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote