View Single Post
Old January 22, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlake View Post
Thanks for posting this info, Bill! I'm trying onions from seed for the first time this year, and plan to use DE because it worked so well on the tomatoes last year. It looks like you start your onions about 3 months prior to plant-out? If so, I should probably get mine going soon. Do you think a 3" deep tray will work for them? Or do the roots need more depth than that? Any other helpful hints?

Oh, and while I'm at it, a huge THANKS for all the info you've posted on bleach spray for tomatoes. It's become my go-to for clearing up gray mold and septoria...works like a charm!

It usually takes them about 3 months to be ready. You need to put them in a much deeper container or the roots will be too bound up. I usually use a 8 inch deep or larger pot. I put something in the bottom so the DE will not slip out of the drain hole and then fill it up and thoroughly soak the DE before seeding and then cover with a thin layer of DE and wet that. The biggest problem with the deeper pot comes when you try to bottom water. It can take a long time so once the onion seedlings are well established I carefully water from the top.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote