View Single Post
Old May 12, 2015   #28
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
So I was using mycogrow (http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/...uble-1-oz.html). This was based on an earlier experiment by Raybo. Its costlier than vivaroots. They list a lot of types of fungi and bacteria, but do not list number of spores or propagules that I could see. So may be time to switch to vivaroots. Looks like I am following whatever Ray is recommending around these parts
I don't know why fungi.com doesn't list the number of propagules in Mycogrow but I remember reading somewhere that it had a total of a little over 20000 propagules lb. of Endomycorrhizal fungi. That would be about 44 propagules/gram.
A combination inoculant like Mycogrow with mycorrhizal fungi, PGPR bacteria and Trichoderma are a little more expensive because of the loads of added beneficial organisms you are getting.
I think it is very important to prime the roots with PGPR bacteria in particular since they have a great effect on nutrient cycling, producing plant growth promoting compounds, protecting the roots from pathogens as well as inducing systemic resistance in the plant overall. Trichoderma fungi are useful for some the same reasons and also protecting the plant roots from pathogenic fungi if you have that problem in your soils.
Dutch used Fox Farms Light Warrior which like the other Fox Farms soils has some mycorrhizal fungi and PGPR bacteria already in the mix which is a plus.
If you started out with a so-called sterile mix then inoculating with a combination inoculant or a straight bacterial inoculant is a good idea. If you have MycoGrow, Great White, Myco Madness or some other combination inoculant then at least do a root dip at transplant.

One important note on using mycorrhizal fungi that needs to be stressed when it comes to fertilizers, do not use a fertilizer with high available Phosphorous as it will inhibit mycorrhizal colonization. This is not usually a problem with organic growers but more of an issue with folks using synthetic fertilizers. Cutting back on your synthetic fertilizer dilution to 1/4 strength for seedlings should be OK in most cases. Also avoid using chlorinated or chloramined water.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote