View Single Post
Old December 17, 2019   #47
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Barb, I'm curious do you routinely get better production from your Earth Boxes or your pouches.? Also, what are using as a growing medium in your pouches. Thanks Larry
I thought last year (and prior years) that I had better production for large tomatoes in root pouches. For cherry tomatoes, I really prefer to use Earthboxes.

Ease of use (IE watering) goes to the EB handsdown.

End of year cleaning - the EB takes about 30 seconds to pressure wash, the root pouches seem to take 5 minutes each and much messier. - EB wins handsdown .

This year I started using almost exclusively EB, and just a couple RP. Then I added dwarfs, and some determinate tomatoes. The # of RP has grown b/c of the determinate varieties - I have replacements already in RP whereas the originals are not done yet.

For EB - I use ProMix and some coir - about 80/20

For RP - I used more 'reused' mix, added the large Coir Chips - Roots Organic brand, and some rice hulls, and then some ProMix / FoxFarm stuff.

I really tried to space everything out better this year and not have a 'wall of cherry' tomatoes like I did last year, hogging all the sun.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote