Thread: J&L Gardens
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2013   #33
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Lee!
I grew Ambrosia Gold, Ambrosia Red, Submarine Blush, and Starfire Isis this year. My Ambrosia Gold plants are giving me two sizes of fruit. I found the smaller fruited plant in 2011, saved seed, and found it again in 2012. I got some fresh seed from you in the Spring and planted both. As you can see, there's a difference in size. The taste is very similar, but the smaller fruits are a bit sweeter. Which is it supposed to be? I'm sorry I didn't take a photo of both together and the season is winding down now and the nights are getting cold (38° last night!) I just picked the last of the larger AG fruit today and the smaller fruited plant has a few left and they are just beginning to turn. Ambrosia Red, which I had never grown was one of the tastiest red cherries I've ever had. YUM!

Starfire Isis has a wonderful taste and is very prolific! A friend, who was visiting, tasted one and said, "now, that's what a tomato is supposed to taste like!" My stripes were not quite as pronounced as the ones in your photo, but the color is spectacular, it's such a bright orange. My plant was very tall and viney. I don't see it on your website right now, but I could swear the description said it was a "tree-type?" At any rate, it's a definite keeper!

Submarine Blush was really sweet and tasty too... and very prolific. Mine were mostly not multi color, but some were a little bit blotchey. Toward the end of the season they are now a solid apricot color. Another definite keeper!

Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AmbrosiaGold-Alt.jpg (213.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Ambrosias-Red&Gold.jpg (273.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg StarfireIsis.jpg (234.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg SubmarineBlush.jpg (240.5 KB, 277 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote