View Single Post
Old November 23, 2015   #68
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I finally finished fermenting the last of the tomatoes about a week ago. Woo Hoo! The rotting tomato smell is finally gone from my bedroom. We are having freezing weather, so I wasn't able to ferment outside.

I grew 3 different clans of F2 tomatoes this summer.

With 2 of the clans, I saved seeds in bulk from the best 20% to 30% of the plants that were grown. The parents had a lot of shared traits between them. Since they were so much alike I figure that it's best to save bulk seed, and not try to do line breeding on them. In addition, the two clans looked so similar that they may have had the same pollen donor so I may combine them at the end of next growing season. These were originally part of my promiscuous-pollination project, but since I didn't find the open flowers that I was looking for, I will give them another screening next year. I'm intending to maintain these as a diverse clan, and to select to maintain variability. I might pull a few plants out to be added to the promiscuous landrace.

With the third clan, I saved seeds separately from 8 of the 18 plants that were grown. Each one had a trait, or set of traits, that I want to explore more next year. The two parents were very different from each other, so the grandkids traits were widely diverse. Most of the plants that I culled were late maturing. That isn't a trait to be encouraged in my garden.

I think that I saved seeds from 5 phenotypes of the (F3 or F4) crosses between wild tomatoes and domestic tomatoes. Two of them were my favorite tasting tomatoes this year.

I grew Lycopersicon glandulosum this summer, and some fruits were produced, but only two plants survived, and I didn't collect any seeds after fermenting the fruits.

I also grew Solanum habrochaites, but due to a family trouble I never planted them into the garden. They sat in pots under an apricot tree all summer. I moved them towards fall, and the pots dried out. Two plants survived and are growing on a south facing windowsill.

I started erecting a new greenhouse today. Hoping to grow tomatoes in it in the spring. This is what it looked like after 3 hours.

Last edited by joseph; November 23, 2015 at 11:54 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote